Friday, November 03, 2006
The Nielson Family



Guess what the Daisy Mae household is? A Nielson family! How cool is that? They even sent us 5 one dollar bills for our troubles. That’s enough to get a sack of ten white castles! Not that I would ever get such a high fat food, no, not me. But if I were drunk and needed a quick snack coming home from the bar, a slider White castle would be just the thing. So the deal on being a Nielson family is that you have to write down everything you watch on TV for a one week period. They send you this special diary type thing to record it in. I thought we were couch potatoes and watched a lot of TV but so far we have only watched about 2 hours of TV and this is day 2. Guess I’d better fluff up the couch pillows and warm up the TV remote and start watching.



Last night Lil Miss and I went out to dinner at her favorite Chinese buffet. We had such a great time having “girls night”. We have decided that we will have girls night every other Thursday night from now on. We also decided that she is going to help me cook Thanksgiving dinner this year. I can hear my daughter, Brooklyn’s jaw hit the floor at that statement. It is a well known fact in our family that you don’t go anywhere near the kitchen while I am cooking Thanksgiving dinner. I start cooking the day before and God help the person that gets in my way. One year Brooklyn made the dubious error of trying to do laundry while I was in the middle of cooking on Thanksgiving Day. Our washer and dryer are in a nook attached onto our kitchen. Lets just say she beat feet out of there as soon as she had the 1st load in, and she took the rest of her laundry to her friends house. What can I say? I don’t like people messing with my flow of work on Thanksgiving Day. I am going to try to let Lil Miss help though. I’ll try to do most of the prep work the day before and then on Thanksgiving day I’ll give her certain tasks to do like sprinkle seasonings on the Turkey or mashing the mashed potatoes. I figure if I drink enough wine I should be able to get through the horror of someone else being in my kitchen.

While I am on the subject of food, it is a good thing I ate a grilled cheese sandwich at 12:30. The self proclaimed faith healer neighbor wanted me to go out to lunch with her and her annoying daughter today. She was supposed to meet me between noon and 12:30. She didn’t show up until 2:30. No apology, no excuses, just ready to eat. That is so representative of her. She has no regard for anyone else’s convenience or lack thereof. So I have decided that I am just going to flat out tell her no from now on. To be quite honest I don’t enjoy lunching with her and I am embarrassed to be seen with her because of the way she acts, so why do I go? I’ll tell you why, because she doesn’t let me get a word in edgewise to tell her no.



As I get out of the shower this morning I hear the G-man holler up the stairs “I’m off to work now baby, see ya at lunch”. A few minutes later, still in the upstairs bathroom, I start running a comb through my wet hair and I hear someone walking downstairs in the kitchen. I get a little freaked out because I have been watching some pretty scary ghost shows recently and I don’t handle ghost shows well. I stand there wide-eyed, unsure as to what to do to ward off the ghosts that are in my kitchen when suddenly I hear “Had to get an ice scraper, the Tracker is covered with ice. See ya later Babe!” Holy cow! It’s a good thing I was in the bathroom because I almost peed myself when I heard unexplained footsteps in the kitchen when I knew I was in the house alone. Darn that G-man! I went outside myself about an hour later and although the ice had melted on the Pathfinder’s windshield, there were still ice-sickles hanging from the house. The above ice-sickle is from the light next to the front door. It’s far too early in the game for us to be having ice covered windshields and ice-sickles hanging from the house. Someone needs to have a serious talk with the weather person! Or I could move to Georgia! Then I could be Paula Deen’s neighbor at her place on Tybee Island and we could lunch together every Thursday at one of the great seafood restaurants on the River in the Historic section of Savannah. I bet they don’t get ice-sickles!
 
posted by Daisy Mae at 2:03 PM | Permalink |