Monday, November 06, 2006
Don’t Smile in Public Places



There I was sitting in the coffee shop in Borders (a local bookstore) waiting for my Nano buddy to arrive. We had never met in person before and I was looking all over to see if I could recognize her. After all I had done my due diligence and scoped out her website (and the book she has had published) therefore I was one up on her and knew what she looked like, I thought. Then this short haired woman walked into the café and looked at me. I smiled really big at her because even though D had said she had long dark hair and this gal had really short dark hair, I figured she may have gotten it cut over the weekend. And actually who really looks like their pictures anyway? So when she came up to my table I smiled really big and stuck out my hand in greeting and bellowed “HI THERE, I’M DAISY!” She smiled back just as big and told me how nice it was to meet me and her name was Sue. My smile sort of wavered a bit at this point. Then she stuck her cell phone in my face and said “my daughter put the silence on my cell phone during church yesterday morning and I can’t figure out how to make it ring again, could you help me?” So I took the silence option off for her and handed it back to her. She smiled real big again, said thank you-nice to meet you and walked off. Obviously that wasn’t my nano buddy and obviously I need to stop smiling at strangers in public places. When will I ever learn?



Deb, my Nano buddy did show up though at the agreed upon time. I had such an enjoyable afternoon and increased my word count by 2500 just this afternoon. I am still no where near the 50,000 words that I need to write, but finally I have hope. One of my problems was that I have bee writing my nano novel like I write my blog. There is absolutely no dialog. Deb (not to be confused with the nutty faith healer named Deb that lives across the street) was able to give me such incredible insight on what I was doing wrong and how I could fix it. Not only that, but she helped me come up with several additions to the plot. We have decided that we will definitely meet again. I can hardly wait because in addition to being a wonderful nano asset she also turned out to be an extremely interesting person that I have many things in common with. Now I am sort of glad that all of the other nano contributors in my little corner of Indy are all high school students, because otherwise I wouldn’t have found Deb.



I have to say though, if you are in Borders (at least the one in Carmel) you might want to get your no fat no foam lattes at Starbucks before you go, because they can not make a good one to save their lives at the Borders coffee café. I ended up with 2 inches on foam on my no foam no fat latte. I scooped off the foam as best I could and took it back up to the counter and asked for more steamed milk on my NO FOAM no fat latte. The second time around I only got one inch of foam on it. Sigh… Yes, go to Starbucks before you go to Borders people.
 
posted by Daisy Mae at 4:08 PM | Permalink |