Saturday, October 14, 2006
A Man And His Wood



Ah, there is nothing like the sight of a man and his wood on a chilly fall day to warm the cockles of my heart. I have refused to turn on the heat fir the first time this season. Thankfully we have a dandy woodstove that really kicks out some heat. But we were down to our last 4 sticks of wood this morning. So off we went in search of wood. Now $90 and 4 hours later we have a rick of wood neatly stacked by the back fence. I complain to the G-man all summer long – “we need to buy wood, we need to buy wood”, but he never listens until we run out, then we end up paying Fall’s high prices. We could have gotten the same wood for $75 a rick this summer. Procrastination is the G-man’s middle name. Sometimes I could just box his ears… or something.



With Fall having fallen and it being so bloody chilly here (yes, we even had snow flurries on Thursday) my thoughts have run to soup. And it didn’t help that Paula Deen’s cooking show featured soups on Friday. As soon as her show ended I drove off to the grocery and bought the ingredients for some yummy vegetable beef soup. I had to post the above picture for my daughter Brooklyn so she could have some of her mommy’s soup too. I don’t mean to brag but I am one of the best soup makers you will find. I think I get it from my mommy. I make a mean gravy too. And come on now, what could be any better on a chilly Fall evening than a pot of homemade soup served with some homemade cheddar cheese biscuits? After eating two bowls of soup each last night we started up a fire in the woodstove, popped some popcorn in the iron skillet and snuggled on the sofa watching movies. I normally have horrid luck on Friday the You Know What, but last night was the best Friday I have had in a long time. I wouldn’t mind repeating it tonight actually. Coziness has it’s good points, you know. I think I’ll make some potato cheddar soup now.
 
posted by Daisy Mae at 3:16 PM | Permalink |