
I had to get out of the house today so I told the G-man to take me somewhere, just anywhere that was peaceful, quiet and relaxing. So where does he take me? To Anderson Apple Orchard in Mooresville Indiana. Normally a quiet little apple orchard located on a deserted country road in a quiet little one horse town. Oddly enough that peace is shattered one weekend a year when the apple orchard has it’s craft fair. At those times the crowds swell into the thousands and they even have people directing you as to which field or orchard to park in. Of course with our luck it turned out that this was the very weekend they were holding the event. So much for my peaceful quiet afternoon in the country. The caramel apples and fried biscuits with apple butter made up for the crowds though. The G-man thought so too and in fact ate more than his fair share of the biscuits and apple butter. I may have to hide that jar of apple butter that we purchased.

After the apple orchard we decided a brief nosh was in order as it was 1pm. So we head into the booming metropolis of Mooresville and stop at an upscale Cajun restaurant that we have heard much about. The first thing they do when you walk in is hug you and put Mardi Gras beads around your neck. I told the waitress I wasn’t flashing her but she assured me that unlike New Orleans that wasn’t necessary here in order to get the beads. A good thing, because I was getting worried. It turns out that they are normally closed on Sunday except for 1 Sunday a month when they have a brunch and a musical guest. This turned out to be that one Sunday a month. They only had 4 entrees that you could choose from. The G-man got this over cooked steak which was rubbed in coffee and other seasonings. It would have been fabulous had the meat not been overcooked. I got the shrimp hash with the poached egg on top. Sounds nasty but it was so tasty. It was steamed, tail on, shrimp, chunks of pork, little red potatoes, onion, celery, green pepper and Lord knows what else all married together in a rich brown sauce and served with a poached egg on top. It was so tasty that the G-man ate half of it. For starters though you had your choice of cocktails such as a Hurricane or a Bloody Mary. Then you were served 2 raw oysters prior to getting your entrée. And dessert was your choice of a turtle brownie, fresh fruit or bread pudding. We opted for the bread pudding. There was a slice of raisin bread pudding and one of banana bread pudding, both drenched in a fabulous rum sauce. It was a very tasty lunch.

I am wiped out today. Not from the trip to the apple orchard as much as from last night’s events. My eldest son and his girlfriend had a huge party last night. They had 2 live bands and even a tattoo artist that was giving real tats for $40 a pop. I’m sorry but I don’t think getting a permanent tattoo is something you should do on the spur of the moment while you are at a party drinking. You would be surprised how many people got inked last night though. We left the party early. Apparently the fights started sometime after 11pm. I’m not sure when really, I just know I got a call at 12:30 from my mother in Maryland then as my eldest son called her while he was so drunk that he could barely stand. I don’t know what he told her on the phone but I know when I called him he wasn’t making much sense. So here I sit almost ignorant to the facts of what occurred last night at his house, and frankly I would rather be in the dark about it all. There is one little problem though. My eldest came over yesterday before the party and asked me to watch his dog overnight because he was afraid his dog would get out at the party or something like that. So I let his dog stay. His dog is still here and we have had no word from my eldest even though it is early evening now. That can’t be a good sign. But frankly I would rather not know because ignorance is bliss and bliss is good.




