Monday, October 30, 2006
A Bonehead Thing To Do



Most of you know I’m a brittle diabetic, but did you know I am incredibly stupid? I did a real bone-head thing tonight, or actually last night, or really just a couple of hours ago. I haven’t been to bed yet so actually it is still Sunday night for me even though it is actually early Monday morning. Do you know what I mean or am I just babbling? I should really get to the point of this because I don’t have much time before all hell breaks loose. And it’s all because of the bone-head thing I did.

I take 2 different kinds of insulin. I take Humalog which is a fast acting insulin and I take Lantus which is a long acting insulin. I take 10 units of the Humalog prior to eating anything. And I take the lantus at bedtime.

Tonight I was filling up needles in mass quantities. I do that every couple of days and just fill up 10 or 15 needles at a time since I take 6 needles a day. Well tonight the convenience of doing that bit me in the ass. In the middle of filling my lantus (the long acting insulin) needles full of 30 units I took my bedtime needle. As soon as I did it I looked at the bottle I had been using to fill the needles with and realized that I had been filling my lantus needles with the wrong insulin. So I just took 3 times my normal dosage of humalog, the fast acting insulin. I knew immediately that it was a major problem. Actually it is a life threatening problem and I should be at the emergency room of the hospital now.

I called my family doctor and told him what I had done. He told me to check my blood sugars every 10-15 minutes (it was 236 when I took the wrong needle) and when it got to 100 get dressed to go to the hospital. When it hits 60 have someone drive me to the hospital immediately. If it hits 50 call an ambulance. It’s 90 right now and I am scared. I asked him if I could bring it up by just eating a lot of peanut butter and drinking full sugar cokes. He told me that would help but in the long run it wouldn’t work and I would end up I the hospital sometime tonight. He told me I messed up big time and I know I did. I have to make sure this never happens again because this is no fun. I had a big day planned for tomorrow today and going in a diabetic coma doesn’t fit into my schedule. Funny thing is I had a doctor visit scheduled for 11 this morning for a flu shot. I wonder if they’ll be so kind as to make sure I am out of the hospital by 10:45 so I can make it to my appointment.



Okay, I am getting shaky now and nauseous. I just checked my blood sugar and it is down to 74 now. Looks like I’d better get dressed and wake the G-man up. I’m ready for my close-up Mr. DeMille.

Ma don’t worry I’ll be fine. Brooklyn nothing will keep me from flying out there to see you in a few weeks so don’t think this is the final act. I’m not ready to kick any buckets yet kiddo. Let this be a lesson to ya’ll, don’t play with needles… or something like that. Do you think shaking could be considered a form of exercise? I wonder how many calories you burn from a blood sugar low. Okay, I’m going to the hospital now. Daisy out! DON’T WORRY!
 
posted by Daisy Mae at 12:58 AM | Permalink |