Wednesday, September 20, 2006
My Freak Magnet Strikes Again



Note to self: Put mean face on when purchasing life saving lattes in Starbucks. If someone tries to make friendly conversation merely growl low in your throat and turn away. Yes, my freak magnet is on and turned to full force. All I wanted was a no fat, no foam latte. Simply that and no more. Next thing I know, at the condiment station as I am trying to sprinkle cocoa powder in my latte, I have heard the full story of how Rachel is from California and has lived in Indianapolis for a year now and thinks it is too cold here, especially today. In fact she had to turn the heat on in her apartment this morning because she was so cold. It was a frigid 61 degrees when she got up this morning. Poor Rachel. And even though it is supposed to get in the mid 70’s today that is far too cold for her California blood. Her parents live in Florida now but are thinking about moving mid way between here and Florida so they can be closer to her. Her older sister lives in Oregon so really they are all spread out too far apart across the US. When she told me that her parents were considering a move to North Carolina I had to open my big mouth and tell her that Wilmington was as far north as you could go and still be in the tropical belt. Next thing I know I am being hit with 20 questions about the economy of Wilmington, jobs, houses and especially shopping. (It seems that Rachel is a big shopper). And now Rachel wants me to meet her tomorrow morning at that same Starbucks. Sorry Rachel, I have a life and I suggest you get one too. Besides it will be too cold for you to venture out tomorrow morning, as I hear temps are supposed to be 59. Why me?



Seriously though, it is getting a little chilly here. Granted, as the day progresses it warms up and you can take your layers of sweaters off. But it just seems to me that with each winter that passes I find myself unwilling or unable to deal with the cold temperatures. I was the one who drove an entire winter, when I lived in Maryland, without turning the heat on in my car. Who needed it? Even in 30 degree weather I would drive with my window down. I loved the fresh air. Now, I run for a coat when the temperature goes below 70 degrees. This is a sign that middle age has hit isn’t it? If it weren’t for Lil Miss I would call a real estate agent today and put the house up on the market and move to the South East. She is the only thing that holds me back though. I mean how could I possibly leave that sweet little girl? Sure I would be able to see her a couple of times a year when we come here or she comes to see us there. But that’s not the same. And what if she needed me? No, I am pretty much resigned to the fact that I am stuck in the Midwest until she hits high school. Guess I’d better stock up on the yarn to knit some more sweaters and afghans, as I have a feeling I’ll be needing them.



Last night the G-man and I went to the movies. The theater we go to has a program where you get free popcorn on Tuesdays if you are a member of their exclusive club. I of course am a member. How do you get to become a member of this exclusive club? Merely say “Gimme a card damnit”. I digress though. We went to see Talladega Nights – The ballad of Ricky Bobby which stars Will Ferrel. Have you seen that movie yet? Don’t wait for the video, go out and see it now. It is so much more fun watching it with other people who are laughing their heads off. And it was a funny, silly, stupid movie. We loved it! Will had the mannerisms of a Nascar driver down pat and that made it all the more funnier. That movie definitely gets the Daisy Seal of approval. Go see it!
 
posted by Daisy Mae at 1:20 PM | Permalink |