
It’s the little things in life that bring me the greatest joy. And when I look upon my new found treasure I have a deep sense of pride and joy. I have been searching high and low for several years for the perfect toilet paper holder and last night I found it. Ain’t she a beaut! Yes, it’s the small things in life that titillate the simple mind.
After a lazy day at home yesterday we piled in the Pathfinder in the evening and went on a shopping expedition to a little hick town about 30 miles north of us. What? You are shocked to find that there is a “hick” town in Indiana? You thought we were all sophisticates didn’t you? Silly reader. I digress though. Back to our shopping trip – we have had this blue theme going on in our family room and dining room since forever. You can only take so many years of blue before you have to make a change. So we painted the walls and trim. We painted the trim white and what did we paint the walls? Light blue! So much for getting away from blue, right? WRONG! I had a plan. Sage green accents! Get that horrified look off your face and close your jaw. Green and blue DO go together, I don’t care what your 7th grade Art teacher told you.

We went to five different stores. And wouldn’t you know that when we came out of the first store the skies opened up and it was a gully washer for the rest of the night. By the time we got home we were soaked to the skin. But we were successful (or so we thought). We had procured the fabulous toilet paper holder I previously mentioned (love it!), 4 sage green couch pillows, 3 valances in a green, burgundy and tan motif, a small rug for the entrance to the dining room and a large rug for the entrance to the patio from the family room. We put one of the curtains up when we got home last night to see how it would look. We were pleased with ourselves because it looked great! Then this morning we get up and the valance looks like dog poop, the rugs look like donkey butt. The toilet paper holder and couch pillows are the only things we are going to keep. So it is back to the stores today.

Why all of the new items? You know why, you haven’t forgotten THAT quickly. It’s all because the mother in law is arriving next week. And in addition to a paint job on the dining room and family room, new curtains, new throw rugs, new tablecloth and couch pillows we are getting our carpets professional cleaned. I fear to say that if the in laws didn't visit we would never clean our house. We are that odd sort that only cleans whwn company comes. Thank God for company!




