Monday, March 13, 2006
Thank A Soldier


We have lakefront property now. No, we didn’t move over the weekend. The Spring monsoons have hit Central Indiana. It has rained everyday for as far back as I can remember. And with my short term memory that is probably 4 or 5 days. Our side yard has suddenly become a lake. I was considering putting park benches around it so we could sit by the lake and feed ducks perhaps. It’s probably too soon to put the boat on it, eh?



I can’t say that it stormed all weekend, it just seemed like it. There were brief periods where the sun would peek through or the rain would stop. In one of those brief periods the G-man got ambitious and decided he was going to clean the cars. What worried me is the attention to detail that he paid to the Tracker. Don’t get me wrong, I like our SUV and in the winter it is my car of choice. But when the warm weather hits I want to be driving the Tracker. There is nothing like driving topless (the Tracker, not me) on a warm Spring day with the radio cranked up and the breeze whipping through your hair. Now the G-man has taken me into his confidence (silly man) and told me that he really enjoys driving the Tracker because it is a stick shift. I’ll be the first to admit that it is a fun vehicle in nice weather however, being a woman means that I get the fin vehicle. Am I right? Of course I am right, I’m a woman. I am woman, hear me roar.

I did a scary thing last night. I added up our credit card debt. Have you ever done that? If your household is anything like mine, looking through the credit card bills is a very scary thing. So now I am considering what I am going to do about all of our credit card debt. I was thinking a re-finance on the house would be the best thing. I don’t think the playing the lottery thing is going to work out so a refinance may be best. The only problem is how to tell the G-man and to get him to agree to it. He is one of these fortunate people who don’t really have a clue what our financial situation is. He goes through life merrily while I handle all of the accounting in our family, including taxes. While I am envious of lower stress levels due to his lack of knowledge about what we owe, I think that I would be more stressed out being in the dark about our finances. It’s a doubled-edges sword. Most households I know do have one person that deals with the finances and the other person that is clueless about them and therefore happy go lucky. Odd the way that works.



I had an email from my daughter this morning. She is on base today and was able to see Soldier Boy for a few minutes. He will be released shortly (probably by now) and then will be able to go home with her. It is a good thing that they met up on base since he doesn’t know where they live. He went into the field the day before she got the apartment so he hasn’t seen it and doesn’t even know the address. She spent her morning blowing up 45 balloons and strewing them about as well as baking him a cake. I hope he is fortunate enough to get a couple of weeks off now that he is finally home. I never realized how stressful military life really was until Soldier Boy went in. The soldiers and their families really sacrifice a lot in order to serve their country. If you see a solider thank them and maybe even buy them a cup of coffee (or a no foam latte).
 
posted by Daisy Mae at 11:14 AM | Permalink |