Tuesday, March 21, 2006
It’s a Small World After All

The funny thing about snow is when someone drives across your lawn you know it. Let me back-track though. I woke up at 5:30 this morning and ran downstairs to look out the front window to see how much snow we had gotten. The snows were supposed to start at midnight. To my disappointment there wasn’t one flake to be seen. Once again the snows had passed us by. So I went back to bed. I woke up at 7:30 to the sound of the snow shovel on the walkway. G-man was outside shoveling snow! There was approximately 4 inches on the ground and it was still coming down fast and furious. Sonny Boy had to be at work at 10:00am so we headed out the door at 9:00 thinking we would have plenty of time to make the 5 minute drive into Carmel and grab a leisurely breakfast somewhere before he had to be at work. Silly fool. I was driving the Tracker unfortunately. As soon as I got out of the driveway the fishtailing began. I had to drive 10 miles per hour to keep the car from fishtailing all over the road. Fortunately the G-man works just a few blocks from our house so I stopped there and traded the light weight Tracker for our industrial sized SUV. I was able to drive 15 MPH in the SUV so I was making really good time. By the time we eventually made it into Carmel we had 15 minutes to grab a bacon/egg biscuit at Burger King before Sonny Boy had to be at work. Here is the kicker, after fighting traffic on the way home for 45 minutes (I stopped at the video store too) I finally walk in the door and Sonny By called and said his manager was sending he and several other employees home because of the road conditions. They couldn’t have told him that before he risked life and limb to get there?


Anyway, upon arriving home I see tire marks in our front lawn across one of my flower beds. Some twit had used our front yard to turn around in! And there were ruts in the lawn as well. You cold tell this by the chunks if dirt and mud that were splattered all over the top of the snow. What kind of ignorant person drives across someone’s front yard? Even though the street was covered with snow you could tell by the placement of the mailbox that my front yard was not the street. Good grief!


I called my daughter, Brooklyn, in Germany this morning. Actually it was early evening for her. The bad news of the day is that Soldier Boys length of deployment in Iraq is 18 months. That breaks my heart so I can only imagine how they must be feeling about it. And Brooklyn is trying to get pregnant as well so imagine if she does poor Soldier boy won’t be able to see his child until he is a year old almost. How could Uncle Sam deploy these soldiers for such a long time? I know I am being sensitive about it but it just seems cruel to me. I hope he gets some sort of time off while he is over there that will allow him to come home for a few weeks at a time. I mean he gets 30 days off a year plus all this extra time for being in the field and such, so when does he get to use that?


Brooklyn is hoping to have her pug, Booger, shipped over to her in a couple of weeks. She has missed Booger so much. Soldier Boys parents have been keeping Booger until they could get an apartment and arrange for a pet passport. Everything is all set now so all they have to do really is put Booger on a plane. Brooklyn is worried about Booger making friends with the German doggies. You see Booger has never been out of the country before and he only knows English. She is worried about how he will communicate with the German pooches since he speaks English and they obviously speak German. Hopefully there will be some bi-lingual doggies over there.

Other than missing Booger, Brooklyn and Soldier Boy are doing just fine. In fact they hosted their first dinner party last Friday so they are settling in just fine I think. They are currently looking into setting up Internet service so Brooklyn may soon be online. I’ve already created a blog for her and it is just waiting for her to plug a phone line into her computer. Well, the computer is another thing. They still don’t have their household goods from the states so they are going to purchase a computer. They really needed to buy one anyway so it works out well. I will let you know when she is online and starts posting in her blog. The blog address will be http://mysoldierswife.blogspot.com/. And in the “it’s a small world” category, Sonny Boy went out tonight with the girl he used to date when he lived here before. She was the love of his life and she fit in our family well. He broke her heart by moving back to Maryland so they broke up. But who knows what will happen now. The cool thing is she is going to Germany on June 5th for 3 weeks and will be near Brooklyn. She is going as a foreign exchange student. What a small world. We had a long chat about Kinder Eggs. Her family has played host to several German students this year and she has made all of them send her kinder eggs. She is as addicted to them as Lil Miss is. Like Walt (Disney) said, It’s a small world after all.
 
posted by Daisy Mae at 7:45 PM | Permalink |