
I had good news from my daughter’s father in law this morning. It seems that my daughter and Soldier boy finally have permanent housing in Germany. They were expecting temporary housing but the Army came through and got them permanent housing finally. I know they are so thrilled to be out of that hotel. Although I think my daughter will miss the maid service. Their new quarters are across from one of the barracks and are right on the bus line. It couldn’t be more perfect. The sad news is that Soldier Boy is now in the field until the middle of March so my daughter is basically in a foreign country by herself for the next month and will unfortunately be spending Valentines Day alone. Of course if I had my passport I would merely hop in my Lear jet and fly on over to spend V-Day with her. (Hey, stop laughing).

The sad part in all of this is I was going to call her yesterday. Time got away from me though and I opted to do laundry and make chicken cordon bleu instead. So I try to call her today and no-one answers in their hotel room. I check my email and see an email from Soldier Boys father explained that they got their permanent housing and moved at 1Pm today. That’s the story of my life, a day late and a dollar short. But at least I am consistent.
As I briefly mentioned I tried my hand at making chicken cordon bleu yesterday. I have to stop typing for a moment so I can pat myself on the back. Who knew I could cook? And more importantly who knew I could cook well? It was so good that G-man had second helpings. No, wait, he usually has second helpings so that may not be a good gauge. How about this – it was so good that I ate it! Now that is a better gauge. Even though I’m not exactly skin and bones, I am a picky eater. So if I ate it, the odds are it was good.

I have been watching cooking shows recently and I am getting bit by the cooking bug. They make it look so easy. Paula Deen and Rachel Ray especially make it look easy and do-able. There are some of those cooks out there that even if it looked easy I wouldn’t want to touch their food with a 10 foot pole. Everything Paula makes looks edible. Rachel on the other hand? Well, I would eat “some” of her stuff. Paula Deen makes the kind of southern food I grew up eating. Greens, fried fish or chicken, biscuits and cornbread… All just good old fashioned southern comfort foods. When I watch her show I want to not only make the foods but I want to go back home. Her show makes me very homesick. I really must stop watching her show. She makes me watch to move to Savannah.

Here is some interesting Paula Deen information in case you didn’t know. The kitchen that she cooks in on the show isn’t hers and isn’t even in Georgia. It is Gordon Elliot’s house in New York. Actually Long Island I think but don’t quote me on the location. And the 2 dogs that lay by her feet while she cooks? Those are Gordon Elliot’s dogs. Don’t you feel hoodwinked now?
Have you ever seen Sandra Lee’s Semi-Homemade? With each show she makes a cocktail. I have figured out why she does that. She has to drink that cocktail in order to eat her food. Her food really doesn’t look that edible to me. I guess I would have to be soused to eat it too. Actually her cocktails don’t look that tempting either, so just pass me the bottle!

Guess what yesterday was, other than my 1st Blogaversary? It was New Release Tuesday at the Video Store! I rented Elizabethtown and Wallace and Gromit -The Curse of the Were Rabbit. We are saving Elizabethtown for Friday or Saturday night but we watched Wallace and Gromit last night. What a great movie even though it was a cartoon. G-man and I both loved it! I highly recommend it. We had never seen any of the Wallace and Gromit cartoons before so the whole concept was new to us but we quickly became fans. All of the inventions they make are so cool. And the animation was top notch. And don’t go accusing me of being in my 2nd (or 3rd) childhood because I am certain that I am not the only adult out there that watches kids movies. I know there are bunches of you out there, so just admit it. There’s no shame in it.




