Sunday, January 01, 2006
What Goes Up Must Come Down

Our 2006 has already started with a bang. And I do mean a BANG. It’s true what they say – what goes up must come down. And boy howdy did it ever. I was upstairs on the other side of the house stripping the sheets off of the beds to wash. (Where the hell did all of that energy come from?) G-man is in the garage putting our boxes of Christmas decorations in this overhead storage area in the garage. All of a sudden I heard a loud thud. I knew right then and there what had happened and I start running for the garage. I get to the bottom of the steps when the screaming started. “Daisy… HELP…Help ME…D..A..I..S..Y..!!!” I open the door to the garage and see G-man laid out on the concrete floor of the garage on top of the metal ladder with both of his feet trapped underneath the rungs of the ladder. And he is screaming. I had to help him get his feet untangled. One shoe came completely off when he fell. I helped him inside to sit. He said he had the breath knocked out of him and that is why he couldn’t scream when he first hit the ground. He is a man though and after resting for 10 minutes he insisted on going back out and putting the rest of the boxes in the storage area. He is fine just very sore. And his tailbone hurts especially when he sits. Of course being a self-proclaimed back expert I am certain he has fractured his tailbone but he swears he is fine, just sore. He will really be sore tomorrow.


I don’t know how it is in your household but here we try to eat good luck foods on New Years day. Different areas of the country seem to have their own good luck foods that are to be eaten on New Years. In Maryland the big thing seemed to be black-eyed peas. What are your good luck foods that you eat on New Years day? Here in Indiana people seem to believe that corned beef and cabbage is the thing to eat on New Years day. Last year we made all of the good luck foods we could think of just in case. It obviously didn’t work so this year we just stuck with the black-eyed peas. And to go along with it we made a spiral sliced honey ham, collard greens cooked down with a smoky ham hock, homemade cheesy scalloped potatoes, my famous lime jello salad and homemade rolls. There is one problem with all of this however. I swore that today would be the day that I put G-man and myself on a strict diet. I hate to make an exception but I think the diet is going to have to start tomorrow. What can I say? I have to eat the good luck peas you know. And I can’t eat them without chasing it down with some ham, it’s just not right. The moral of this story is that if you think long and hard enough you can find a way to justify anything. Now shut up and pass me the black-eyed peas.


 
posted by Daisy Mae at 2:27 PM | Permalink |