Monday, January 30, 2006
The SIL’s Cheesecake Recipe


Since my post later on this afternoon will be an exciting one about the sister in law and since I made her fabulous cheesecake yesterday, I will post the recipe for the aforementioned cheesecake below. It is soooooo good. I’d venture to say it’s the best cheesecake recipe I have ever tried and I have tried lots of them. In fact it is so good that it is almost gone. And guess what I am eating for lunch today? Yup, cheesecake. Yum!

1 box Zwieback toast (Baby teething biscuits)
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 stick butter (4 tablespoons)
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
3 (8 oz) packages cream cheese
small carton whipping cream (half pint)
1 1/2 teaspoons flour
1 teaspoon vanilla

Crust: Crush zwieback toasts into fine crumbs. (I put in a gallon size baggie and smash with my rolling pin) Add 1 cup sugar and the cinnamon to toast crumbs. Melt butter and add to crumb mixture, mixing well. Butter a spring-form pan and place crumbs in bottom. Pat crumbs into a crust on bottom and partway up the sides of the spring-form pan.

Optional: You can reserve 3 tablespoons of the crumb mixture to place on top of the cheesecake prior to baking if you wish. My sister in law does this but I don’t.

Filling: Soften cream cheese by leaving un-refrigerated for several hours or by putting in microwave for 45 seconds. Separate egg yolks from egg whites. Place egg white in fridge to chill. Place 1 pkg of cream cheese in large mixing bowl and beat with electric mixer. Add 1 cup sugar and mix. Add 2nd pkg of cream cheese and egg yolks. Mix well with electric mixer. Add whipping cream and mix. Add 3rd pkg of cream cheese and mix well. Add flour and vanilla and mix well. In separate bowl with clean beaters, whip egg whites. Fold egg whites into cream cheese mixture.

Pour filling into crust. Sprinkle reserved crumbs on top if desired. Bake in 250 degree oven for 2 hours. Cool completely. Refrigerate.

 
posted by Daisy Mae at 11:44 AM | Permalink |