Friday, January 20, 2006
Leaving on a Jet Plane


Do you remember that old song from the 70’s “Leaving on a jet plane?” That song has been running through my head all day. I guess because my little girl left on a jet plane this afternoon at 1:51pm bound for Germany. I did really well I thought. I didn’t start crying until we got to the airport. Brooklyn said, “Now Mom, we’ll have none of that!” So I stopped crying. At least until it was time for her to go through security and we had out last goodbye. Then we all started crying as we hugged goodbye. I miss her already.



Brooklyn spent the night with us last night. She stayed up late watching movies with Sonny Boy. She said she didn’t go to bed until 4:00am. She slept in her old bedroom. She said that she was laying there thinking about everything and she started thinking about her best friend Timmy. Timmy was the first friend she made when we moved to Indiana. They have been best friends ever since. They had an apartment together until Brooklyn got married. About a month after she got married and moved out Timmy committed suicide. He had problems. He was gay and had problems coming to terms with it I think. Brooklyn hasn’t been the same since he died. She’s blamed herself for his death and feels that if she had stayed she could have kept him from committing suicide. That is so not true. If someone really wants to commit suicide they are going to do it whether their friend stays or leaves. I digress though. She said that she was thinking of Timmy and she saw an orb in her room and then she felt peaceful and went to sleep. You know what an orb is don’t you? Sylvia Browne talks about them a lot. They are supposed to be spirits. Now I have goosebumps on my arms.



She really must be nervous and anxious about her flight to Germany today because even though she didn’t go to bed until 4:00am she got up at 6:30 this morning. I made her Belgium waffles with the handy dandy professional waffle maker I gave G-man for Christmas. It’s probably the last waffle I will get to make her for the next three years. That’s how long they are supposed to be stationed in Germany. Three long years. It will probably be three short years for them but three long years for all of us left behind. After breakfast I found her curled up on the foot of her bed looking pretty stressed out. So what’s a mother to do? Take a picture of course. What good is misery of you can’t document it.



And speaking of misery, I came home from the airport this afternoon and just collapsed on the sofa. This bronchitis/cold/ear infection/flu thing really has me wrung out. I really think that I had a case of the flu hot me on Tuesday night on top of all of this and that is why I feel so cruddy still. This is nasty crud. I think I may possibly feel just a slight bit better tonight though so hopefully good health is just around the corner. For now though it’s back to the sofa for me.
 
posted by Daisy Mae at 7:04 PM | Permalink |