Sunday, January 08, 2006
Its Only A Cold


It’s only a cold, only a cold. Lil Miss spent both Wednesday night and Thursday night here. She has a cold which has been lingering on in various degrees since the week before Christmas. She has now transferred her cold to G-man and myself. And it is JUST a cold. I had a flu shot this year so there is no way that this could be the flu. After all I did pay my $20 co-pay to prevent me from having the flu at all this season. So regardless of the fact that I have aches and pains along with chills and hot flashes, this is not the flu. It’s only a cold.

Despite having this flu cold I managed to drag myself out shopping yesterday with my daughter. We went to snob-village. That is this new outdoor mall place nearby which has only been open for a year now. It is smack-dab in the center of snob-ville so is frequented by some of the snobbiest people you are ever to meet. I can’t stand snobs. I did manage to get a good no foam latte however so the day wasn’t a complete bust. But I had to wade knee deep through snobs in order to get it. Oh well.



I had to get out of the house yesterday because it was football Saturday here. The Redskins were playing a play-off game. And by the way, they won. Whoo-hoo! There is nothing like sitting home on a Saturday afternoon listening to your husband yell at the TV for good calls or bad calls on a football game. It can get quite loud actually, thus the need for shopping therapy for me. And the best part about it is he won’t complain about my shopping because it keeps me out of the house so he can watch football. I really hate football. And since they won the play-off game they play again next Saturday. Same time, same bat channel. So guess who gets to have some retail therapy again next Saturday? Hail to the Redskins.



I received an email from my mother yesterday. It seems that it is muskrat season right now in the old hometown again. If you aren’t familiar with muskrats be grateful. They are nasty vile disgusting creatures and stink to high heaven when they are cooking. They are water rats sort of. But a lot of people on the Eastern Shore like to eat them. Not me. I have never tried one and don’t plan on it. They are gray when they are cooking. They cook the rats until the meat falls off of the bones. Then they serve the whole mess on a plate with bones and all. It is gray shredded nastiness with the bone carcasses poking out amid the grayness. It is the most disgusting thing you would ever imagine to see. And the smell. Oh the smell, it turns my stomach just thinking about it. And why the hell would anyone want to eat a rat? I don’t get it. My mother said that her boyfriend loves eating muskrat so much that he could eat at least two rats. That right there would be reason enough for me to break it off with him. Yuk! Now I’m really feeling sick!

Do you want to know how to waste a perfectly good Sunday due to a flu cold? First you get up at 8:00am only to go and lay on the sofa to watch TV in between nodding on and off. Then around 10:00am you manage to shuffle your way into the kitchen to snag a cup of coffee that you will only drink 2 sips of before it finally goes cold and you end up pouring it down the drain. At 11:00am you will most likely decide that a shower will help you feel better so you stand under steaming hot water in the shower trying to steam away your stiff neck. By the way, this does not work. After getting out of the shower you will most likely have a burst of energy and actually manage to get some clothes on before you collapse on the sofa again. At 2:00pm your husband (who is feeling worse than you are, if possible) will complain that he needs to eat even though he doesn’t feel like eating. So being a dutiful wife you will drag yourself into the kitchen and make him some chicken noodle soup from a box while forcing yourself to eat a few spoonfuls. A few more hours on the sofa will have you feeling so much better that you will actually be able to blog while you wait for the pizza delivery guy. And then you realize while blogging that your entire Sunday is over and all you have managed to do is put a sinkhole on one end of your sofa. Damned colds.
 
posted by Daisy Mae at 4:51 PM | Permalink |