
I conveniently forgot something until I walked into Office Depot this morning. Taxes. Yes, that dirty nasty word that we all hate to hear. Normally I would have started them by now and had everything itemized and all ready to go upon receiving our W2s. But this year I’m not as organized as I once was. I haven’t even gone through all of our drawers yet. Our file drawers that is. (I know what you were thinking). I have to go in out FILE drawers to pull out the receipts for things we will itemize. I am behind the eight-ball this year. I used to love doing our taxes and secretly I still do. But it was more fun when I was working and we had more money coming in. (More money equals more taxes taken out which equals a larger refund). But now that I am on disability they don’t take the taxes out of my pay so I have to pay the taxes at the end of the year. That sucks! But I do love a challenge.
This morning was my busy morning. I had many errands to run in addition to having my monthly appointment with my pain management doctor for my back. This would be the same doctor who spends 25 minutes telling me about Grant and Winston (her grandchildren) and 5 minutes writing out my prescriptions. Notice I didn’t put anything in there about her asking how my back is doing. And that’s because she normally forgets to ask me how my back is. Today was the exception to the rule though. Today she actually asked and not only did she ask, but she also gave me a new med to try for the nerve damage I have from the failed spinal fusion. This should be fun because the last pill I tried for the nerve damage made me feel drunk. And I mean way drunk! It was Gabitrol, so if your doctor ever prescribes gabitrol for you tell him you would like it with a twist instead of an olive. I explained the side effects to the doc and she told me most meds for nerve damage will have that effect and I shouldn’t take it at the same time that I take my other back medications. Guess what? I forgot. So about 20 minutes ago I took my back pills and this new medication. I am already feeling a bit tipsy. But boy am I ever smiling! I made a cup of hot tea to try and counteract the drowsy feeling but the only kind we had was decaffeinated. So I am sitting here on the computer typing away as I nod off while drinking decaffeinated tea. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. And to add to the mix, G-man took my nice computer chair with the arms away and gave me a new office chair that has no arms. No arms mean I’ll fall on the floor when I nod off at the computer now. What the hell was that man thinking?

Now where was I? Oh yes, the post office. That was a few stops after the doctor’s office. Actually it was after the drugstore (where I loaded up on Christmas clearance) but before Hobby Lobby (where I loaded up on Christmas clearance). The line in the post office was out the door. There were at least 30 people in front of me. What is up with that? Did everyone wait until today to go to the post office? Waiting in line gave me a chance to read the notices on the wall though. Did you know that starting this Sunday there is a postage rate increase? I had no idea! The new rate is 39 cents. I had just purchased forty 37-cent stamps last week and they never told me that a rate hike was coming. So today I purchased forty 2-cent stamps. If it weren’t for that long line giving me the opportunity to read the notices on the wall I would have had all of my bills returned to me next week for insufficient postage. So I guess there is good in every situation, right?!

And now that my brain is thinking about making a bad situation good, I have come up with another idea. Every year I take everything out of my files in my computer desk and I put them in a storage container marked taxes with that tax year on them. I am one of those crazy people that saves every receipt (except the ones I actually need) and every utility bill, etc. So each year at this time I purchase a new plastic file box for that tax year. I haven’t purchased one yet for 2005. I really should do that today don’t you think? I mean, I don’t really want to shop, but I must for Tax purposes. And in order to conserve gas I really should see if there are any other purchases I can make at Wally-World just to save a trip you know. I’m all about conservation.
I had a call from my eldest this afternoon. Just a few minutes ago in fact. Seems that he is going out of town for work yet again so he wants us to puppy-sit his Christmas ornament, cactus eating pit bull/shar pei mix puppy starting tonight. I am so happy that he gives me advance notice. I have about 3 hours to puppy-proof the house before the little
demon dear arrives. The first thing I should probably do is walk around the house on all fours and see what I can reach from that position. (Please don’t try to get a visual on that). There is no use in trying to decide what Cloe may or may not chew up because if she will chew glass Christmas ornaments and cactus plants, then I’m guessing that she will chew anything. I have a feeling it is going to be a long week.