Friday, November 25, 2005
Don’t Arrive Early for Thanksgiving Dinner


I was going to tell you about my Thanksgiving yesterday but I was so sleepy yesterday that I never got around to it. I slept through half of Christmas Story even. Now that is bad because I absolutely love that movie. But I digress, so onto our Thanksgiving. It all started the night before Thanksgiving. A package arrived from Nancy. She works for Warner and sent me a huge package with the Harry Potter DVDs in it as well as a few other movies, one of them being A Christmas Story. I was ecstatic! Thank you so much Nancy, you are the best!!! And it arrived at the perfect time as we always watch Christmas movies on Thanksgiving afternoon and evening. This was so great. Thanksgiving was off to a great start!



I did some of the cooking on the night before Thanksgiving. Things like the pumpkin pie and turnips and such. Just trying to get a head start on everything. Thanksgiving morning arrives and I head down to the kitchen to start some serious cooking. Meanwhile G-man is doing the turkey and taking up most of the kitchen in his attempt to stuff aromatics in the bird. We could have a kitchen the size of a football field and it would not be big enough for G-man. That man spreads out when he cooks. He stuffed the turkey with herbs, onions, garlic, celery, apples and such. It did end up tasting really great. We have leftovers in the fridge if you don’t believe me. Come on over and help yourself.

So dinner is in full swing. We planned on serving it at 2:30 in the afternoon. A few minutes before noon who should walk in the door but my eldest son, Lil Miss and Squarehead their puppy. What a racket! What noise and confusion. Who the hell comes to Thanksgiving dinner 2 ½ hours early! And Lil Miss seems to think that I am supposed to drop what I am doing and play with her. If I had any cooking sherry I would have drank it at that point. Nonetheless somehow dinner got cooked and we even managed to serve it early. It was on the table by 2:00. Everything was delicious. The menu ended up being roasted turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, homemade yeast rolls, 2 kinds of cranberry sauce, turnips, collard greens, a platter with dip, carrot sticks, celery, olives and pickles, pecan/apple/sausage stuffing, candied sweet potatoes, a wonderful lime jello/cream cheese/pineapple salad thingy, pumpkin pie and cherry/blueberry pie. It was all delicious. We ate until we thought we would pop.



After dinner the eldest and Lil Miss had to leave because she had to go and have a 2nd Thanksgiving dinner with her mothers family. Poor kid. So we sat down and watched a Christmas Story with a roaring fire going in the fireplace while nodding off every now and then. I tell you it was a cold, cold day. I think the warmest it got yesterday was 20 degrees. It was bitter cold! And then we check the faith healers dogs water and it is frozen solid. We had to keep running over there every could of hours to give it fresh water because the water would keep freezing. Oh, I promised to take a picture of their dog. That’s it posted above. And posted below is a picture of the back of their house. I had never seen it before. I see the back looks as bad as the front. In other words, trash everywhere!



I am starting to nod off again (too much turkey) so I will post a little later about my afternoon visitors. I need to pull their pictures off of the camera too. Be back in a bit. By the way, it’s bloody freezing? Where the hell is my sweater?
 
posted by Daisy Mae at 4:12 PM | Permalink |