Monday, September 26, 2005
Orange Water Sucks


Don’t come over to our place today, we don’t want company. It’s not that we are being antisocial, it’s because our water is brown today. We are on well water and we have a water softener that filters out the gunk. I still wouldn’t drink this water or even use it in cooking but it is fine to bathe in or wash clothes in AFTER it goes through the water softener. Indiana has very hard water. That means if you make a pitcher of iced tea with Indiana water it will look like mud and taste even worse. Thus most people in Indiana have water softeners or use bottled water. We have both. This morning we wake up to the realization that our water softener is not working. This happens 2 or 3 times a year. You give it a few days and it usually works itself out. But in the meantime it looks like a family of 12 urinated in your toilet without flushing. And the water coming out of the tap looks that way too. It’s a disgusting orange brown color. After the water softener starts working again we have the job of cleaning up the damage the unsoftened water did. Like scouring our orange tub (normally white) and scouring the toilets and sinks. Damn this Indiana water! Growing up in Maryland spoiled me because the water there is wonderful tasting, at least it is on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I can’t say much for Baltimore water. You tend to take those things for granted until you move somewhere like Indiana where the water isn’t fit for human consumption. They actually have boil advisories out once a month or so and that is on the city water. It’s times like this that make me homesick. Which brings me to another point. The other day I told G-man that I was homesick and he looked at me in amazement and said, “What are you homesick for, this is your home.“ I guess he just doesn’t understand.



I bought Lil Miss the cutest Halloween shirt. Isn’t it cute? I am hoping to see her actually wear this one because she has a habit of not wearing the clothes I buy her. I don’t think it is her doing, I think it is her mother. For instance I bought an adorable outfit a month ago at Old Navy for her. I let her pick the outfit she wanted. She loves dresses and shirts and such so she chose a pink skirt with a white top and matching pink shrug. I have yet to see her wear this outfit. Her mother like to outfit Lil Miss in jeans and boy looking clothes. Lil Miss is a girly girl and like pinks and ruffles and such. I think this Halloween shirt is enough of a non-girly shirt that her mother will actually put it on her.



The above picture is the way my kitchen looked yesterday when I was making black bottom cupcakes. I would have taken a picture of it today but it looks much worse and I am embarrassed. I spent my afternoon making lasagna today. I make the homemade sauce first so it was a huge endeavor. I used several kinds of cheeses like ricotta, mozzarella, a 4 cheese Italian mix and freshly grated Romano. So I have stuff spread from one end of the kitchen to the other. It’s a wreck. I don’t mean to brag but I make awesome Italian food. I truly do. The problem is I don’t like Italian food. G-man and Sonny Boy do though so I make it solely for them. What a good wife and mother I am. (Modest too). And now, good wife, mother and grandmother that I am, I have to go pick up Lil Miss from school.
 
posted by Daisy Mae at 1:40 PM | Permalink |