
My doctor was finally right about something, here it is Thursday and I can actually breathe finally. Well, if you can call breathing through one nostril breathing. I’ll take what I can get at this point. It’s nice to finally see light at the end of the tunnel though.
Yesterday Sonny Boy and I went to the school to get his work permit that they wouldn’t give us the day before. We walk into the principal’s office and the secretary is actually typing with two fingers. Two fingers!!! My mother (excellent and fast typist that she is) would have had a fit. We wait several minutes for Ms Attitude to acknowledge us. When she finally does and we tell her we are there to pick up his work permit she says okay and then turns back to her typewriter and starts doing the two fingered routine again. So we sat there for 10 minutes. Finally the principals walks out of his office and asks if we need assistance. I explain that we are waiting for a work permit. He says “Isn’t it ready”? I explain “I have no idea, no one has told us anything.” So he turns to Ms Attitude and asks her if the work permit is ready. She says yes and reaches over to a notebook on hr desk and pulls out his work permit and hands it to him. Now I ask you, why couldn’t she have done that 10 minutes earlier? It took all of 30 seconds. That’s what’s wrong with education today, no one gives a crap about the student, parent or their job. Don’t even get me up on a soapbox. I did mumble a few choice things as I was leaving the office though.
After we left the school we went to Sonny Boy’s new employer to drop off the work permit. We knew it would only take a minute or two to merely drop it off. So I wait and wait and wait. Finally I walk into the store by the office and I see them outfitting Sonny Boy with a work shirt. He sees me and tells me “They want me to start right now”. How weird is that? So he had his first day of work yesterday and it damned near killed him. They put him on shopping cart return for all of this wee and then next week they will be training him on cash register. He came home 8 hours later all sun burnt and exhausted. I think he has a new appreciation for adulthood and probably wishes he were 10 again and didn’t have to do this work thing. The kid was wiped out. And he still has the rest of the week to get through.
I wish I had taken the Bratz movie back because Lil Miss and I ended up watching it again yesterday. I have a feeling that if I don’t hide it we’ll end up watching it again today. That’s more than I could bear. Oh, and Lil Miss is back on the pull my finger routine. That kid is a gas monster this week. I don’t understand it. It’s pretty bad though. So I have been trying to come up with a nicer expression for her other than “pull my finger”. Do you realize how many expressions there are out there for having gas? There is the one my brother’s wife used to use when we were teenagers – Oops, I broke a cookie. My grandmother’s favorite pastime – Easing Off or busting wind. Then there is the one that Stephen King used in Hearts from Atlantis – Oops, a goose flew out my ass. And my favorite, my husband’s brother’s expression – The toothless wonder speaks again. As you can see none of them are quite appropriate for a little girl to use. Maybe I should just get the girl some Beano instead. And speaking of which, it’s time to go and pick her up from school now. Time funs when you’re having flies, eh?

Speaking of movies we watched Sin City last night. What can I say? It was a dark and disturbing movie, but so well made that I couldn’t turn away. I loved it. It gave me nightmares, but I loved it. And it was shot in black and white with a few items being colorized like the red lipstick on a woman’s mouth or the blonde hair of a dead hooker, or red blood splattering on someone’s face. It was pretty cool. We are waiting until Friday night to watch A Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. We keep putting it off since we are pretty certain it sucks. I don’t know what I was thinking when I rented that one. Sheesh!




