Tuesday, August 02, 2005
A Sucker is Born Every Minute



I am such a bad person. Here it is 11:30am and I still haven’t gotten motivated to do any of the things on my to-do list. And I have about 15 things that I need to do. In fact, I just am eating breakfast now. I’m a little slow this morning I guess. I haven’t done anything this morning even though I got up at 7:30am. While being lazy feels great right now I’ll regret it later.

The faith-healin’ neighbor told me something disturbing yesterday. There is this house that is just a few houses down from us on the same side of the road. A few months ago there was an ambulance and 2 or 3 police cars at that house. The ambulance left without their sirens on so we figured the person wasn’t hurt badly, or the ambulance wasn’t needed or the person was dead. The next day we noticed there was police tape all around the house. We thought it was domestic violence but we were certain that no one was seriously injured because the ambulance had taken it’s time in leaving. We found out the truth yesterday. Seems that it was a young could that lived there. They had a 6 month old baby and a 3 year old. The husband was a chef. The mother came home with the children and opened the garage door to park the car and the husband was hanging in the garage. Yes, he hung himself. Yes, he was dead. Yes, it’s very sad and disturbing. Doesn’t that just break your heart?



The faith-healin’ neighbor told me a couple of other things yesterday that I found to be interesting. I happened to mention that G-man was cutting the back lawn last night and she said that they only cut their back yard 2 – 3 times a year. She elaborated by saying that her husband has to borrow a weed whacker to get the grass low enough that she can cut it. Uh, did ya ever hear about cutting your lawn on a regular basis before small children and animals get lost in your back yard? You may want to try it. Hillbillies, I tell ya! (Rolling eyes)

The other thing she told me was how she got her furniture. She mentioned this because she recently got some new furniture only in a different way this time. The old way that she got all of her furniture was to go through people’s trash on bulk trash day. That’s how she got her son’s twin bed, her sofa, her kitchen table, and lots of pictures on the wall, desk, etc. The new way that she recently got some furniture was from someone at church. The person had put an announcement in the church bulletin that they had a full size bed and a dining room table for sale. Right in the middle of the sermon she walked over to the ladies pew and whispered in her ear (I’ll take it all). Then after the sermon she and the lady were talking and my faith-healin’ neighbor told her that she and her hubby go to Jamaica with the church missionary team every fall to help build huts and such for the poor people there. And she said that although they are supposed to use the churches travel money to go down on they don’t. She said her hubby didn’t pay bills for 1 ½ months last fall so they could go because he felt that the churches money should be used for someone else. After she tells the lady this sob story she tells her that she really wants her furniture but she can’t pay for it. The lady gives it all to her for free. Talk about a racket? And you know what I did yesterday? I gave her a purple and pink ruffled comforter set with matching curtains for her daughter’s bedroom for FREE. I know…slap me now and get it over with. You know what they say, a sucker is born every minute. That sucker would be me…and that lady in Debs church.
 
posted by Daisy Mae at 12:16 PM | Permalink |